The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller



Patroclus remembered seeing Achilles when they were both children. Both boys were princes but while Patroclus was the child of a simple woman, Achilles’s mother was the sea nymph Thetis. Achilles was to be the greatest fighter the world had known. Patroclus would have no such destiny. When he accidentally killed a young boy he was exiled and sent to live in the home of Achilles and his father. There, Patroclus would become Achilles most trusted companion and much more. They would be by each other’s side for over a decade even in the mist of the war that lasted ten years. 
I had no idea that The Song of Achilles would center on the romantic relationship of Patroclus and Achilles. Not a single clue. Patroclus is the narrator throughout the entire novel and I found his point of view extremely fascinating from the beginning. After about 40 pages I realized the attraction between the two characters would take center stage. Their growing relationship, its intensity and the love they obviously shared was genuine but I just didn’t expect this to be a romance novel. I wanted action, fighting, and intense inner monologue. I didn’t get that. I got quite a bit of intimacy, a lot of longing looks and some sex. All fine and dandy just not what I was looking for. This was a really easy read and regardless of the romantic element I devoured it. The characters were well developed. The plot moved easily. The imagery and world creation were all there. The story came to life. 
So what rating do I give Miller’s The Song of Achilles. I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Why, if the story came together so well and was such an easy read? I didn’t connect with it in the way that I thought I would. Was I invested in the outcome of the characters? Yes but the novel started off slowly and I honestly got really tired of Patroclus’s yearning for Achilles. It was never ending and it overwhelmed way too much of the plot. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood