Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn


                When I picked this book up from the bookstore I was looking for something dark and twisted. Well, this novel hit that nail right on the head. Camille Preaker is a reporter for a small newspaper in Chicago. She has been sent on assignment to her hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri to cover the murders of two young girls. Their deaths are about a year apart but they were both found strangled with all of their teeth removed. Fully aware that this could be a big break and absolutely huge for the newspaper, Camille heads back to Wind Gap begrudgingly. Her relationship with her mom Adora is non-existent and has been irrefutably fractured since the death of her younger sister over a decade ago. Camille’s return home opens old wounds and reveals new ones in the shape of her 13 year old sister Amma, who is both beautiful and terrifying.
                There were a lot of things I really loved about this novel. It moved well. I easily fell into the pages of this frightening and eerie landscape. The question of what in the world is going on in this small town haunted every single page. Not to mention the fact that Camille is a really complex characters with wounds and scars that won’t heal. The mysterious deaths were affecting everyone in Wind Gap and was raising questions about everyone’s behavior and motives. The first hundred pages of this novel I was fully immersed in this novel. Then I just got irritated. Camille started making decisions that made me want to bang my head against a wall. Amma was a pain in the ass and just seemed extremely shallow and exaggerated. Then I started guessing who the killer was and it became so painstakingly obvious to me that the small twist at the end barely registered with me.

                I’m giving this novel 3.5 out of 5 stars and in my opinion they are well deserved. I started this novel loving it. By the end I was underwhelmed. I probably would have really enjoyed this novel if it revolved around Camille but wasn’t first person. I don’t know if I would have been as annoyed near the end if I wasn’t as privy to her thoughts. I am still going to recommend it because it was so dark and it was such an easy read but I had my misgivings. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood