Unteachable by Leah Raeder

Unteachable by Leah Raeder




                Maise has slept with older men before. She has accepted the fact that boys her age would never meet the cut. She is eighteen, about to start her senior year of high school and is determined to conquer her fears. The night she met Evan on the roller coaster, she didn’t expect anything to come from it. He was hot, the sex was hot and she was gone. Until she walked into her Film Studies class and there he stood. Evan Wilke. Her teacher. She had no idea. He had no idea. Yet here they were together and the temptation was too much to resist. The affair had begun before either of them had a chance to stop it. But now the secrecy begins and the teacher and student fall fast into each other and into a deception they may not be able to climb out of.
                Well this caught me completely by surprise. From the very first page I was lost in Maise’s life. This book was so many things: intoxicating, thrilling, sexy, addicting, detailed and forbidden. I wanted to get lost in a story and I did. I was completely lost in this forbidden but legal relationship between Maise and Evan. The adult in me wanted to hate the idea of a teacher and student ever being intimate in any shape way or form. But the teenager in me, that was attracted to older men, and was intrigued by the mystery of being with someone even a few years older and the mystique that age can cast, loved every single second of it. Raeder captured the voice of an 18 year old like I’ve never seen before. Maise is witty, flawed, beautiful, confident and frightened all at the same time. She is a ball of emotions and insecurity and can be a walking contradiction but she felt so amazingly, wonderfully real. Her relationship with Evan was intense and passionate and hot, oh so hot. These characters were so well developed and so beautifully sculpted. The plot unfolded amazingly. When I thought something was slightly predictable it imploded in my face to show the reality and I was forced to stay on my toes. I couldn’t stop reading. I didn’t want to stop reading.
                Raeder’s Unteachable easily gets 5 out of 5 stars from me. I crashed into this book and loved every second of it. My heart was racing through this story. There were just so many beautiful elements to Raeder’s writing. She created a novel where the intensity was palpable in every page, along with lust, fear, love and danger. There are so many things I didn’t even mention like the druggie mom, the forgotten father, the nuances of being in high school but it’s all there adding intensity and depth to the story. I couldn’t get enough. Some people may not be able to get past the idea of a teacher secretly dating his eighteen year old student so that could scare people away. I completely understand. But this is fiction and I got lost in the story. I loved it and I would take that ride again. If Raeder can keep producing books like this than I may have to get every single one.

                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood