Solo: A Memoir of Hope by Hope Solo with Ann Killian

Solo: A Memoir of Hope by Hope Solo with Ann Killian



                I consider myself to be a casual soccer fan. I’m probably not going to watch every DC United game or catch Major League Soccer highlights, but when the World Cup and the Summer Olympics come around, I am watching every match and cheering for the team. With that being said I have been aware of Hope Solo’s presence for a while now, at least the last five or six years. I think she is a powerhouse on the U.S. Women’s National Team and an amazing goalkeeper. She has also been in the media quite a lot over the last few years for a variety of reasons, not many of which are positive. After randomly finding this memoir at a Dollar Tree store I decided it was time to learn more about her so I gave it a try.
                Solo: A Memoir of Hope is intense. Solo is unapologetic and frank about her life. She talks about her chaotic upbringing with an alcoholic mother and a father who was homeless for many years after their divorce. She discusses playing soccer at a young age and loving the thrill and drive it gave her. Being a professional soccer player was always her goal and she joined an Olympic Development team while in middle school and gained traction as a goalkeeper. Solo then discussed what I found to be the most revelatory statements about what it was like joining the national team. The drama surrounding the newcomers and the veterans of the team: the controversial statements she made after being benched after winning three games in the World Cup and the fallout that ensued, the changing of coaches and the team dynamic that developed after those changes. She went into great detail about all of these aspects of her life explaining her frame of mind and why she will always defend her actions.

                This was a pretty well written memoir. I appreciated her honesty. I liked the way Solo framed this around her entire life and didn’t simply highlight what it was like playing soccer. She introduced in the prologue the 2007 World Cup controversy and the story took its time getting to that point. From the beginning Solo stated that she didn’t believe in happy endings and how that belief was a reflection of her life. I enjoyed this memoir and it made her more relatable. There has been quite a bit of controversy around Solo since the release of this memoir from issues with her husband and drinking, to a domestic violence case against her. After reading this I want to hear more of what she has to say. I am more inclined and interested in her side of the story. I’m also more interested in the dynamics of the U.S. Women’s National Team. I didn’t expect the revelations that came out of Solo’s memoir. My interest is now peaked in many ways. I give this novel 4 out of 5 stars. It’s definitely something I can recommend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood