Kindred by Octavia Butler

Kindred by Octavia Butler

  
              It was Dana’s twenty sixth birthday the first time she moved through time and space to save Rufus. He had been a little boy drowning in the water. She pulled him out, saved his life, and came back. She had only been gone for a few seconds in her time of 1976. She would later learn that she had traveled to the anti Bellum South in the early 19th century. Rufus’ father was a slave owner with a plantation of over 30 slaves. Dana would only learn this information as she continued to return to his side, away from her time, her husband and her life, violently thrusted into his.
                This book took my breath away. I wasn’t sure what to think when I first read the synopsis. I wanted to read this book simply because I really wanted to read an Octavia Butler novel. I was instantly sucked into the story. It’s a combination of historical fiction and science fiction with a dash of magical realism throw in. Butler created these really well thought out characters that are full of depth. The relationships between Dana and Rufus, Rufus to slaves, Dana to slaves, and Dana to the future are extremely complicated and yet they all feel real. They all feel palpable. As does the world. Butler did an amazing job bringing together the imagery and detail to create this fully developed world.

                Kindred is definitely a book I can recommend because it is one that I wholeheartedly enjoyed. It was a great read and there were many layers to the story. The way Butler handled the anti Bellum South and the traveling through time was so well done. I was hooked. Easy read with mystery and some suspense. I give this 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood