Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer



This is the second installment in the Lunar Chronicles. If you have never read the first book, Cinder, you can read my review first or just skip this review. But there will be some spoilers.

                Scarlet’s grandmother is missing from their farm outside of Paris. Her ID chip has been removed and the police have given up their search after three weeks. Scarlet however remains convinced her grandmother isn’t safe. When Wolf offers to help, she is desperate to follow him in order to get her grandmother back. Meanwhile in New Beijing Cinder escapes from prison with Thorne and is looking for clues about her life. If she really is the Lunar princess how can she defeat the Queen and take her place on the throne.
                I am so torn. On a bright note this book was really funny but I’m not sure it offered much more for me than Cinder. Scarlet’s introduction and story line was interesting but she didn’t grab my attention as much as I hoped she would. Cinder was escaping but honestly she seemed to be floundering an unsure of what steps she needed to take. It wasn’t until the end of the book that she really made any kind of decision and it should have been obvious from the beginning. Now the story did get much more complex and Cinder’s storyline became clearer but there are so many questions.
               I’m pretty sure I will eventually complete this series. I was interested without being invested. I liked Scarlet and Wolf but Cinder and Kai got really lost in this for me. I give this novel a solid 3 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood