killing rage: Ending Racism by bell hooks

killing rage: Ending Racism by bell hooks



                I’m going to recommend this collection of essays to everyone knowing that some people might not be ready to read this book. I probably wouldn’t have been able to read this book and gain so much value from it if I had picked it up 10, even 5, years ago. At this stage in my life, at the age of 30, at a time when I feel like I have gone through so much self-discovery and learned so many different things about myself, is the moment when I should have picked it up. And I am really glad I have. bell hooks has created a collection of essays that boldly confronts life as black woman living in North America. Mind you, this book was published over two decades ago and these essays are still valid and still reflect what is happening in society. Feminism, racism, sexism, white supremacy, internalized racism, color complexes, class hierarchies and much more are discussed in depth. I related very intimately with much of what she referenced. This book helped me understand that I am not alone in feeling these complex emotions or in these situations that I’ve experienced.
                killing rage saddened me in many ways though. Like I said, this book is over twenty years old and yet not much has changed. The fact that I could relate so personally to the struggles black women had two decades ago proves how very for the United States has to go when it comes to it's power structure and racism. It’s disheartening. But she gives me hope because she boldly stated her stance and she challenges others to take a stand as well. hooks does an incredible job in explaining the different aspects of racism, sexism and the white supremacist culture.

                This might be one of the best books I’ve ever read and I don’t say that lightly. With where I am right now in my life, I needed to read these words and see someone clarify the wide range of emotions I was feeling. I highly recommend this book. But I have a stipulation: only read this if you can come to it with an open mind. A lot of people will not want to believe anything that hooks is saying is true. They’ll want to discredit her rather than look at society and confront its flaws. I know that what she has said rings true for many people. It rang true for me and my life experiences. Give this book a chance and read what can happen if the system itself is changed and if the way we view ourselves and each other is changed. I give this book 5 out 5 stars. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for our review! I found your review through Naz's Read Diverse 2017 Link Up. I just finished reading bell hooks' Feminist Theory from margin to center and it blew me away and I found it really saddening that it was so relevant after being published first in 1984. I will definitely be taking your rec and putting this on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have every single one of her books on my TBR after reading this! I'm glad my review helped. This is one book that I would love to give to every single person I know. I hope you get as much out of it as I did.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood