The Mother of Black Hollywood by Jenifer Lewis with Malaika Adero


The Mother of Black Hollywood: A Memoir by Jenifer Lewis with Malaika Adero



                    Jenifer Lewis. When I think of Jenifer Lewis the very first thing that pops in my mind is “What’s Love Got To Do With It.” But the more I think about it, the more movies come to mind, “Corrina Corrina,” “The Preacher’s Wife,” my son’s favorite movie “Cars.” She is in so many movies and has been around in showbusiness damn near my entire life. When I heard about this memoir it was one I knew I would eventually get my hands on enjoy.

                    Lewis writes just like I would imagine she talks. I heard her voice in my head the entire time I was reading this story. All the exclamations, the singing, the joy, the anger, it’s all there. I found her story very interesting. I found her honesty moving and her resilience inspiring. One thing I also appreciated was how she embraced and relays her sexual nature. She never hides from it and in many ways details her escapades. Judge her if you want to but she is telling her truth.

                    I do have a complaint. I didn’t care for Lewis’s writing style very much. The memoir never developed a consistent flow for me. Lewis would jump from one story to the next, one moment to the next, with little connectivity. It takes away from her story for me. Do I recommend this book? Yes! Definitely because I admire her and her story. I give this 3.5 out of 5 stars


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood