Moby Dick by Herman Melville, A reread many years later


Moby Dick by Herman Melville




I’m so disappointed with this reread. I had really fond memories of this book. I read it while in high school, well over a decade ago, and genuinely enjoyed it. I was looking forward to this reread. All I’ve felt the majority of this read through was frustration.

This is the story of Ahab and his pursuit of the white whale, Moby Dick, that caused him to lose his leg. At its bones this is what this novel is about. Unfortunately, Melville decided to also provide a course on whaling throughout the novel which stops any kind of natural flow from occurring. At times you don’t know who the narrator is because Melville changes throughout and at times it felt like Melville was just talking. If none of the nonfiction stuff was included and this was just a streamline novel about Ahab’s monomaniacal thirst for revenge against Moby Dick it would have been epic! But it’s not! The story meanders, Melville wanders and then suddenly readers are thrown back into the story!

After about 400 pages I genuinely just wanted to get it over with! I managed to finish and I honestly recommend an abridged version of this story. Read a version of this book that only focuses on the plot. It should be at least 200 less pages if that’s the case. And it will be much more enjoyable.


Comments

  1. An interesting take on a classic. I'm a bit afraid to reread some classics I enjoyed in case I won't like them the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proceed with caution! I thought I was going to love this book again and that wasn't the case. I can think of a few others that I might have the same reaction to. I'm staying away from those for now!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood