Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay


Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay


                I've come to the end of this collection of essays with quite a lot of feelings. This is a very intense, honest, in your face collection of essays and it does exactly what it’s supposed to it. This collection of essays by Roxane Gay makes you confront how you feel about different issues ranging from race, politics, sexuality and justice. It makes you confront your idea of feminism, what it means to be a feminist and how we judge and categorize women. It is Gay expressing her thoughts, emotions and beliefs in a way that only Gay can: emotionally, viscerally, sarcastically, and truthfully. I love Gay’s writing for all those reason and I loved this collection of essays.
                I relate in a myriad of different ways to what Gay was saying throughout this collection. The majority of what she has written I wholeheartedly agree with. Not just because I am a black woman but because I am an imperfect black feminist. In many ways I can assume that I would be considered a bad feminist. I am fine with that. I don’t let other people define me or my feminism. No one should and I think that is one of the things I loved most about this collection of essays. Gay is unapologetic about her feminism and completely aware of where she isn’t ideal. Well, so am I. But regardless of this title, every essay doesn’t revolve around feminism. This collection of essays takes a look at almost every aspect of society and examines the ways in which the population responds to such events. This collection of essays says a lot about where we are, how far we haven’t come and where we need to be.
                I enjoyed Bad Feminist. I recommend Bad Feminist. I give it all of the 5 stars that I can because of how it spoke to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood