An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz


An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz




                I just finished reading this book so excuse me as I try to process my thoughts while writing this blog. This is not an easy read. I was well aware that atrocities took place on United States soil directed solely at the Indigenous People but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined much of what Dunbar-Ortiz mentions here. This is a rough book where readers are forced to process information that is extremely hateful, spiteful and shows exactly how horrible human beings are capable of being. And yet, these horrors are the actual history of a country that claims to be one of the greatest in the world. The history of the Indigenous Peoples’ are taught in a way to appease and satisfy. “The Indians were here, they welcomed the Europeans with open arms, even breaking bread with them at Thanksgiving and we all lived happily ever after.” I don’t remember anyone teaching about the genocide that took place or the forced marches or the broken treaties or the massacres. I had to learn about these as an adult from outside sources. I wasn’t shocked while reading this book. But I was appalled.
                Dunbar-Ortiz does not hold back and I honestly loved that about this book. Now is not the time to mince words. IF you are reading this book, it’s because you want to learn about the U.S. from those who have been deliberately harmed in its creation. Dunbar-Ortiz delivers by accurately portraying the history of the United States from its founding. It’s a brutal history but Dunbar is an experienced, educated author who lays the facts bare in a comprehensive, easily understood way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood