The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin


                I’m not sure what I was expecting when I first picked up The Fifth Season but this definitely wasn’t it. I’ve never read a science fiction, dystopia like this before. And I loved it. From the very beginning of the novel, you genuinely feel transported. Very little is given away up front and trying to figure out the mystery of this world, while being sucked into the varying narratives of Damaya, Syenite and Essun is quite the experience. This is a world where so much time has passed and so many ends have come, that no one can be sure of what history is true. This is a world where orogenes can harness the power of the Earth as a weapon, where Father Earth is fighting back against the destruction happening on his surface and where people will give their children to the Fulcrum out of fear of what they are.
                I fell in love with this narrative. Within the first 30 pages I was hooked. The grave tone of the novel from the very beginning is one that I couldn’t turn away from. There was such despair and yet so much strength within Essun that I became fully invested. As we are introduced to the different characters and narratives you realize that these characters live in a world that has been in a constant state of change and fear, with unknown entities and a complex social order. Character and world development in this book were the keys to success and with both done so well, the plot weaves itself effortlessly through the alternating narratives.

                Hands down, this was one of the most original, interesting, entertaining science fiction books that I have read in a long time. It has so much going for it: diversity, an amazingly original plot, beautifully sculptured characters and a totally original world where anything is possible. This is first novel by Jemisin I have ever read, and just like that I am sold. This is the first in The Broken Earth series and I will definitely be reading more from here on out. I give this 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood