Between the World and Me by Ta-Nahisi Coates

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nahisi Coates


                Intimate. Honest. Heartbreaking. Those are the first three words I think of after finishing this book. Put simply Between the World and Me is Coates speaking directly to his son, Samori about life. About what it means to be a black man in the United States of America. What it means to sit back and continuously see that you have no control over your body. What it means to continuously see bodies that look like yours taken prematurely and to see no one punished for the crime. Coates talks about his upbringing, about his parents, about his struggle and then about Howard, The Mecca. It’s as much about Coates trying to make sense of this world and it is him trying to make his son understand what it means to live in a black body.

                Talking about race with children is incredible difficult. I know from the experience of having to talk about race with my own child. It’s uncomfortable and it makes you confront certain truths that you would rather ignore. That’s what makes this book so amazing. Coates realizes that his son, who is fifteen at the time he writes this book, is old enough to hear the truth, regardless of how painful it may be. I loved this book for its honesty. I loved it because I could feel Coates pouring his pain on the pages and confronting what life has been like for him. But it isn’t just him. It’s everyone that inhabits the black body and he makes it a point to emphasize that. It feels personal because it is incredibly personal. I give this 5 out of 5 stars. I just finished this and I am filled with emotion. These instances hit too close to home because too many of these instances happen to people who look like me, honestly they happen to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood