Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry



           Annemarie Johansen is a ten year old girl, currently living in German occupied Coppenhagen. The year is 1943. It has been three years since the Germans took over her country. Three years of seeing soldiers at the corners. Three years of steadily decreasing food rations. Her sister Kirsti, doesn't remember a time before war, but Annemarie does. It's the Jewish New Year and Annemarie was going to celebrate it for the first time with her friend Ellen Rosen, whose whole family is Jewish. But plans change. Ellen is going to stay the night with the Johansens. The Rosens expect there may be a raid and the only way they can be safe is to separate and hide.

           Number the Stars is a well-written, easy to read, children's historical fiction novel. Lowry focused on the occupation in Denmark and built a story around the escape of the thousands of Jews to Sweden before they could be "relocated." Focusing young readers on one significant part of World War II made the story feel less ominous than other young adult/children's historical fiction novels based around this time frame, that take in a broader scope of the war. The story of Annemarie, Ellen and their families is one of strength, bravery and doing what is right even if it puts your own life at risk.

           I enjoyed this story. This wasn't a moment of World War II history that I was overly familiar with so I thought it was a great introduction. However you only saw true character development in Annemarie. None of the other character's experienced any kind of growth. I also got a sense of this novel being slightly toned down. I'm not saying that this book needed to go into graphic detail about atrocities but if a child were reading this book, I'm not sure if they would understand just how terrifying these events were. I see the word Nazi and it resonates with me because I know and can grasps the events that took place. A child reading this book may simply assume that there was a boogeyman taking people away.  It was easy for me to imagine the fear that pervaded through the lives of both families while this story took place but I'm not sure if there would be for a child. There needed to be more information about what was taking place in my opinion. But like I said I enjoyed this book and give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. I can see how this is effective in relaying a tragic part of history to young minds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood