Finders Keepers by Stephen King

Finders Keepers by Stephen King


                In 2010 Pete Saubers found a trunk filled with thousands of dollars and over a hundred Moleskin notebooks. The money would help Pete’s family through a very difficult financial time and save his parent’s marriage. Thomas’s father had lost his job and was at the City Center in 2009 when Brady Hartsfield, also known as Mr. Mercedes, rammed into a crowd of job seekers. Thomas was injured that day and his injury added tension to an already struggling family. The money was a godsend but the notebooks were the real treasure. They belonged to John Rothstein and held all of his writing since he disappeared from the public eye. Decades worth of writing held inside of the trunk, including two new Jimmy Gold novels. The Jimmy Gold trilogy is what made Rothstein famous. It was also what made Morris Bellamy murder Rothstein and steal all the money and those manuscripts in 1978. Years have passed and Bellamy’s only thought is of one day retrieving those notebooks.
                When I found out that Mr. Mercedes was going to be a trilogy my interest in the story peaked. Mind you I would have read the book anyway and found it thoroughly enjoyable but when you know a book is going to be part of a series that fact stays in your mind. I start to look for ways that the story can continue to unfold. I didn’t find any clues to a sequel while reading Mr. Mercedes. Once promotion started for the second novel Finders Keepers I learned that it would somehow involve a person affected by the City Center Massacre and it would also include the protagonist from Mr. Mercedes, the retired detective Bill Hodges. I knew I was going to have to read Mr. Mercedes again in order to catch the subtle hints King would undoubtedly drop and I am glad I did. It takes over a hundred pages for the characters in the first novel to be introduced in Finders Keepers. This time was spent wisely in developing the characters and history of Morris Bellamy and Pete Saubers, two characters brought together by chance and circumstance. By the time we meet Bill Hodges and his accomplices we are well invested into the lives of Morris and Pete and are fearful of the clash that has yet to come.

                Stephen King. If you aren’t a fan, you should be because more so than anything the man can write. This novel was great. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the tension that exhibited itself throughout. The characters were well developed. The story was just left of crazy. The pace was brilliantly kept. The history of the all the characters and their integrity was kept throughout the story. This is the kind of writing I expect from King and why I continue to buy his books. I love when I can read a novel and be amused, terrified, disgusted, entranced, horrified, confused and utterly aghast. I love when a story brings me through a wide range of emotions that can cause my eyes to bulge from their sockets, my stomach to flip and an audible gasp to leave my mouth. This was it. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. This story ends with a hint about what is to come next and makes me feel like the real reason behind this novel was to act as a bridge. I will patiently wait for the next one, or at least try to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood