Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out by John Calipari and Michael Sokolove

Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out by John Calipari and Michael Sokolove


                Well, before I even get into the review of this memoir I have to say that I am a huge University of Kentucky Basketball fan so I am immediately biased. I remember when I first really got into watching College Basketball, being at a UK football game against University of Alabama and out walked Coach John Calipari and the 2009-2010 squad, which included John Wall, Demarcus Cousin, Eric Bledsoe and Darius Miller. I am one of those crazy fans that yell at the tv, jump up and down, pace the room and I have even shed tears. I always, always, always look at the bench and watch Coach Cal and judged if my crazy matches his attitude. If I’m mad and he is mad then I know I’m in the right. I have even been known to say “Just let me coach one day!” screaming at the top of my lungs. I am that fan and I make no apologies. Coach Cal is a great coach and I wanted to take this opportunity to really dig into his thoughts as a coach at the University of Kentucky. I was not disappointed.
                Self-reflection takes a lot of courage. To look at yourself and recognize your flaws and be able to admit to them says a lot about your character. I feel like this memoir is an exercise in self-reflection. Calipari reveals a lot about himself in this book. I was surprised by how much he was willing to share, about his coaching style, how he recruits, his relationships with the players. It is all so candid that at moments my mouth drop. This is a man who talks about how his players come back to the house and take naps because they are exhausted. He talked about his faith and trips to Dunkin Donuts and being around the fans. Every aspect of his life as it relates to basketball and coaching was explored. He talked about his family but that wasn’t the focus of this book. The focus was his players, their careers and the game.
                One thing I must commend Calipari on is his fearlessness. Kentucky is known for the “one and done” and I am sure some people thought Cal might try to skirt around that issue. If you have ever heard Calipari talk to anyone about the “one and done” you would know that he would take that issue on head first. And he does. He talks about all the different aspects of it and why it’s a problem. But it’s the current situation. He is embracing for his players and helping them make the best decision. I’m heartbroken every time players leave the school but I love watching them play in the NBA. I get it. I understand. He also though decided to take on the NCAA as a whole and the problems associated with college athletics. He has MANY genuine concerns that need to be addressed and I am glad that he addressed them.

                Coach Cal accomplished a lot of things with this memoir, most importantly he shared with his fans a very intimate look into his life. I appreciate that. The writing in this memoir is very simple, relatable and enjoyable. IF you are a College Basketball fan and you don’t hate John Calipari or the University of Kentucky then you will enjoy it for what it is: a look at a very successful school and coach. I get it 5 out of 5 stars. Well worth the read. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood