Boys Among Men: How the Prep-to-Pro Generation Redefined the NBA and Sparked a Basketball Revolution by Jonathan Abrams

Boys Among Men: How the Prep-to-Pro Generation Redefined the NBA and Sparked a Basketball Revolution by Jonathan Abrams



                I am a basketball fan. I was raised a Lakers fan (still am to this day even with the horrible record) and I remember Kobe being drafted. I was at the Staples Center when the Lakers brought home the NBA Championship in 2000. I enjoy the game, always have, and always will. Now I enjoy watching a lot of college basketball and the phrase you hear thrown around often is the “one and done.” I never understood what made the NBA create the age limit of 19 and one year removed from high school. I just recognized Lebron James as one of the last stars to enter the draft straight out of high school. So much has changed in the decade since this rule has been introduced. That’s why I found the idea of this book and this topic so intriguing. It’s also why I was so anxious to get my hands on it.
                Abrams wrote this book with the intention of educating the reader. He wanted to inform you of the history of the NBA and the legacy behind players. Not just the legacy of players who had succeeded in the NBA but those who failed miserably as well. There are quite a few players mentioned throughout this book. Many I recognized like Garnett, Bryant, McGrady and Howard. Others I weren’t as familiar with like Leon Cooke and Korleone Young. Each player he introduced was an opportunity to observe how the NBA, the work ethic and the lifestyle may not be suitable for many players straight out of high school. Abrams wasn’t biased either way and that was one thing I really appreciated about this novel. He made it a point to emphasize that each player is different and their circumstances and their determination will have the biggest effect on how they do in the league. The implementation of the age restriction will benefit many and hurt others and the NCAA will undoubtedly profit because more players opt to go to college then play overseas.

                I enjoyed this novel. Abrams brought up some very valid points as to why the changes were made. Abrams knows this will be an ongoing discussion for years to come but he emphasizes why it works right now and why the option to go to the NBA straight from high school worked for some before. I was grateful to see so much information produced in an easy form, that was informative and enjoyable to read. I finished reading this with a better understanding for why the change was made, the effect it has on the NBA now and the player’s affected as well. If you are a fan of the NBA then this is definitely a book I would recommend. Many aspects of the game, like recruiting and endorsements are observed as well and it makes this book a very fascinating read.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood