The Everlasting Rose by Dhonielle Clayton


The Everlasting Rose by Dhonielle Clayton



This is the second book in The Belles series. So be prepared, if you haven’t read The Belles spoilers are abound in this review. Proceed with caution

                Camille, Edel and Remy are on the run. The Queen is dead and Sophia is positioned to take the throne. Even though Camille revived Princess Charlotte before she fled, rumors are circulating that she too is dead. But that’s not the only thing troubling Camille. Most of what she has known her entire life is a lie: where she comes from, how she can use her powers, what lives in her blood. There is so much more to it than just the existence of other Belles outside the favorite generation and it rattles her to her core. And now she is also learning about the Iron Ladies. The resistance trying to tear the concept of beauty down in Orléans.
                I reread The Belles before starting this book and I am so glad I did. All the nuances and references to the existent of the Belles and their lives as slaves to beauty was so evident the second time around. Clayton expands on that concept really well in this book. Where she was slightly more nuanced before, this book really ups the ante and is very straightforward on the perception of the Belles. The world building in this book is just as lush and opulent as the first one. I love that we learned more about some of the tertiary characters in the first story. Most of this book takes place outside of the capital city and I enjoyed seeing and exploring so much more of Orléans.
                My only problem with this novel had to do with the pacing. There were moments that I felt were a little rushed. And other moments where I felt like we lingered too long. I also would have loved to dive deeper into the use of the arcana. Once Camille starts really exploring the use of her powers it’s really incredible and I would have love to have learned more about that. Overall though, I thought this was solid sequel. If you enjoyed the The Belles I can see you enjoying this one as well. I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood