Warcross by Marie Lu


Warcross by Marie Lu


                Emika never thought she would meet Hideo Tanaka. She was an eighteen-year-old bounty hunter, facing eviction from her tiny studio apartment. She had been watching the Warcross tournament just like millions of other people. But when one of the competitors grabbed a power up, worth thousands of bucks, she couldn’t resist hacking into the system and grabbing it. What she never expected was to glitch into the game the moment she touched it! Now her face is plastered everywhere. Everyone knows her name and Emika is terrified she is going to be arrested. When she finally decides to call the number back that’s been calling nonstop, it’s Hideo Tanaka, Warcross creator, who wants to meet her.
                I picked up Warcross the day after throwing in the towel on a historical fiction novel that was leaving a bad taste in my mouth. This is exactly what I needed to get me out of that funk. Warcross is a really entertaining young adult science fiction novel that follows Emika’s journey from poor bounty hunter, to famous Warcross competitor. But there is way more to this story than just that. I liked Emika. I thought she was really great main character. I loved her drive and watching her make difficult on the spot choices and still being compassionate. The world building in this story was great. It revolves so much around this game Warcross which I found the prospect of both interesting and terrifying. I thought the plot was creative and the pacing well done. The ending was something I was not expecting and leads to the next book, which I believe is the last book in this series.
                I’ll definitely be picking up Wildcard. I can’t wait to see what happens with these characters especially after the cliffhanger Lu gave us. She delivered this futuristic world that seems all too plausible. She provided interesting characters with depth and world building that made me feel like I was living in the pages on the novel. Can’t wait to get the next one. I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood