The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (1988)

The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice  

             


                I love when I get lost in the pages of a novel. When the narrative is beautiful, interesting and just whisk me away to whatever time and place the story is taking place. I absolutely hate it when the story gets muddled half way through and the story gets lost in an unnecessary lengthy plot that starts to drag the story out. This in a nutshell is my relationship with The Queen of the Damned. Now, mind you, this isn’t in any way shape or form a bad novel. I enjoyed this story. I simply lost interest midway through and dragged myself to the finish line.
                Lestat (yes, that Lestat from Interview With The Vampire which I absolutely loved) is a rock star. He has an autobiography out where he admitted to being a vampire and where he also divulged the history of Akasha and Enkil, the first of the vampires. He claims to have kissed the frozen statue that Akasha is now and claims to have drank her blood. Well, now Akasha is awake. Covens are being set on fire and only those close to Lestat seem to be safe. Then there are the dreams of the twins with red hair that haunt the vampires as they sleep. The twins from millennia past that are somehow connected to the awakening of the Queen.
                Like I said, this novel started off beautifully. I was so into the story. The world building was fantastic. There was so much mystery and so much history. And of course, there was Lestat. I really enjoyed the first two hundred pages of the story. Then Rice started going into detail with the twins and we finally meet the Queen and the story slowed down. To a snail’s pace. I guess I found the mystery of the twins more interesting that the reality. Or maybe it was the way in which the history unfolded. Rice’s method of storytelling changed and as it changed my attention waned. Were the characters interesting? For the most part yes. Especially all of the characters that we weren’t aware of in previous novels. Was the world building amazing? Not amazing but good. The major flaw then had to be the change in narrative half way through. Alas, I have to rate this 3.5 out of 5. Good but not amazingly great.

                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood