The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova


The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova



I’m not sure when was the last time I’ve read a book about mermaids. After reading Cordova’s Brooklyn Bruja series I knew I had to read more of her writing style which I absolutely loved. The Vicious Deep isn’t as compelling as her newest series but it is still highly entertaining and a really fun ride.

Meet Tristan. You know this guy. We all know this guy. The girls think he’s cute. He one of the best swimmers on the team and he’s fun to be around. He’s also a lifeguard. And on the day the storm came he ran out into the waves to save the life of woman he saw flailing in the water. He was found days later somehow still alive. Many other people didn’t survive that day. He’s felt weird ever since. The next thing you know he’s lying on the bathroom floor and his legs have turned into fins! There’s a lot his mother hasn’t told him about her family, the family he has never known. Like the fact that he is actually a Merman and a descendant of the Sea King, and now in line for the throne. With the help of two fellow Merfolk, he begins his journey to fulfill his destiny.

I promise it’s not as confusing as my blurb may have made it seem. Córdova does a really great job fleshing out Tristan’s character and the lore of the family he is descended from. There’s an uncertainty about him that reeks of being an adolescent and I mean that in the best way possible. The way he looks at friendships and relationships, you can tell he has a lot of growing to do and I’m hoping that Córdova gives him the space to grow in the next two books. I also want more out of some of the tertiary characters. While there is some really good character development in some of the characters, there are others who I would love to see fleshed out. Especially his mother!

Overall though I enjoyed this book. There are some inconsistencies and holes I hope get filled throughout this story. Right now, some of the elements weren’t as clear or as thought out as I would like. But I’m definitely planning on continuing the series. I give this 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood