Harbor Me by Jacqueline Woodson


Harbor Me by Jacqueline Woodson


                I saw children I know in the pages of this book. I heard their voices. I saw their experiences. I read the words and envisioned these children that I knew. What Woodson did with this novel is open the door for children to be children but at the same time talk about things in a way that we never give them credit for. In a way that’s open, beautiful and honest not only with themselves but with each other. Harbor Me is a novel that looks at how hard it is to be a child coming of age right now and how they can open up to one another when given the space and opportunity. This story is simply the conversations of six kids, whose teacher gave them time to be together and they formed an unforgettable friendship.

                Woodson chose to tackle some very relevant and yet heavy topics: deportation, police brutality, death, race, and privilege. I thought she did this in a way that was both respectful of all these topics and deeply honest and upfront as well. She didn’t sugar coat anything, because children when given the opportunity ask very honest questions. This book could be a springboard for children to ask honest questions about those topics.

              I’m recommending this novel. It’s such a great middle grade novel. It has simple and yet elegant world building. These characters are extremely well thought out as are their relationships with each other. I’m giving it to my kid to read and I’m hoping that a friend of mine can read with a group of students that she works with. I give this 5 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood