Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli


Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli



I’m so glad I didn’t slip and see this movie before reading this book because I would have been so mad for not letting this plot develop the way it did in this book. No movie captures the book perfectly and this is definitely the details I craved.
Simon is gay but no one knows that yet. No one but Blue. And now Martin because Simon forgot to logout of the school computer and Martin just happened to see them. Now he knows his secret and wants Simon's help or everyone will know. We call that blackmail. But in the midst of all that there is Blue. And the relationship that’s blooming even though neither of them have revealed who they truly are. High school can be tough, especially when you live in a family where everything is a big deal. And being gay in a small town like theirs outside of Atlanta could end up being the biggest deal yet.
I enjoyed this book. It starts off slow but as the relationship between Simon and Blue grows and Simon is honest more and more with himself and Blue, it really gets good. There are a few things I loved about this novel and one of them were Simon's friends, who were all complicated in their own and way and were all dealing with their own internal issues. There would be conflicts but there was understanding which makes the resolution better. I also appreciated the conversations that occurred with the parents who were trying to straddle the line between being cool and being authoritative and made mistakes and overreacted. But the romance is so satisfying! I was really happy to find out who Blue actually was after watching that relationship grow.
This book was well-thought out. There are some aspects of character development I would have loved to see flushed out. The emails consistently felt one note to me for the most part, with some exceptions. I did however love the way the plot was constructed. The pacing was great and the romance was so much fun. All in all, I think this a really enjoyable, fun easy to get lost in book. I give this 4 out of 5 stars.


Comments

  1. Good review, I’ll have to pick this one up myself, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood