Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann


Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann




                I’m not sure where would be the perfect place to start with this review. The story is that of Alice, a young Black woman coming into her adulthood, while also navigating being a biromantic asexual. The only people who know her sexuality are her best friends Fennie and Ryan, who also happen to be a couple and her new roommates. But as her attraction to Tamuki, the new guy at her job grows, so does her insecurities around how to proceed in a relationship when she enjoys romance and but doesn’t care about sex. I am doing the best I can here with this blurb, knowing full well that I really enjoyed this book from a heterosexual standpoint and am hoping that I am describing this clearly and thoughtfully because this book was really good.
                Let’s take a second to talk about representation quickly. I loved the way Kann discusses asexuality and the way Alice processes and describes her feelings. This book left a very clear impression on what it means to be asexual and I can understand the angst Alice felt because of how well done this story is. For that, I applaud Kann. I was educated, entertained, and emotional throughout reading it. The relationships that Alice has built with her friends felt so real and so easy to relate to. But I must also tip my hat to Kann because of how she represented Black women in this book. And it was the simple touches, like the way Alice talked about her hair, and being misunderstood as aggressive instead of passionate and the microaggressions, that sat with me. I loved reading those moments and seeing bits of myself in her character.
                Let’s Talk About Love was a really good book. It starts off awkwardly. I had to get used to Kann’s writing style and the framing of the actual story. But once I did, I couldn’t put the book down. I ended up finishing it in one day and was thoroughly pleased with ending. I give this book 4 out of  5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood