Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova


Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova



                Alex comes from generations of Brujas and Brujos. Her mother and older sister, Lula are healers. Her younger sister, Rose, has the sight. Alex has powers too, powers she’s been trying to hide ever since her father left them. He saw what she could do and the next day he left and she has never said a word about what happened. Her sixteenth birthday is coming, and everyone has been waiting to see what her powers will be, when one day they explode out of her at school and Alex can know longer keep them under wraps. An encantrix, there hasn’t been one in the family for years. Now her Deathday celebration is coming and she makes the decision to try and stop her blessing. A decision that will cause her to lose her family in Los Lagos. Now she must travel there if she wants to save her family and the spirits of her ancestors.
                I read this book in a day and knew half way through that I would want to read the sequel as soon as I finished. This is an extremely well written story about a young girl on a destined path that she is trying to fight against. Alex has been raised in this culture and yet she rebels against it and to no avail because this is the person she is meant to be. I loved the world building. It’s rich in detail and provides the cultural backdrop for Brujas and Brujos living in Brooklyn and how that community has supported one another as they see their numbers dwindle. I love how connected all of these characters are to one another and how Córdova stresses the importance of family and love. More so than anything I love how Córdova explored the realms of magic, the history of it, the repercussions of using it and the threat to those of that use it.
                I’m definitely recommending this novel. I got lost in Córdova’s world and as much as I wanted to get to the end of the story, I also never wanted it to end. That’s a feeling I love having when reading a book. I’m glad this is the beginning of a series because this a world that is so layered and I know Córdova can keep coming up with new ways to explore it. I give this 5 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

  1. Oh, the world/setting sounds interesting. 😮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was!!! And she uses such descriptive language.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood