Allegedly by Tiffany Jackson


Allegedly by Tiffany Jackson



                Mary has spent years in baby jail and now is staying in a group home for murdering baby Alyssa. Allegedly. She was nine the night Alyssa died. When the cops arrived at the home she was covered in mud, the baby had bruises all over here face and body. It’s been years and Mary hasn’t stopped thinking about Alyssa. She also never admitted to the crime. Her mom agreed to the plea deal of manslaughter on behalf of Mary. But now Mary has a different story to tell. She didn’t kill Alyssa but she knows who did. And if it means she’ll be able to keep the baby growing in her stomach, she is willing to tell everyone the truth.
                I regret that I started reading this book while visiting family. If I had been at home I would have finished this book in a day or two. It’s the kind of story that sucks you in right away but has a super dark tone and you spend the majority of the time trying to figure out what the truth it. I didn’t trust anyone and as much as I liked Mary I felt like she as an unreliable narrator. Something felt off about the entire situation. As I continued to read this story I realized just how complicated this whole situation really was.
                I really enjoyed this story. Jackson did an incredible job with creating Mary’s narrative. Choosing to tell the entire story in first person through Mary was extremely smart decision. She was the focus and so was her mental state as she tried to navigate the ever-changing landscape. I’m intrigued by Jackson’s writing style. The way this story unfolded was so unpredictable and Jackson had me on edge the entire time. I like that. I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood