Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi


Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi


          
                It’s 2018. I wish I could tell you that racism is no longer an issue in the world but if my life has taught me anything it’s that racism still exist, is prevalent and may not ever cease to exist. This book answers a lot of the questions as to how that is true in 2018. It discusses the type of racist though that has been so prevalent throughout history and the systems in place that have allowed racism to flourish. It’s comprehensive, easy to read and understand but it isn’t for the feint of heart. If you aren’t prepared to look at some extremely hard truths then you should probably step away from this type of book, one that refuses to dumb down the situation to make you comfortable.
                I’m glad I decided to read this book. It highlights quite a few different aspects of history that I wasn’t aware of. There were things in this book that I would want to research further. I liked the way Kendi chose to write this book, with five main historical figures and a narrative that revolves around them and through their history. It was really effective, grounding the book in people that readers are familiar and therefore times that they can acknowledge.
                I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. While it does provide a comprehensive look at racism I found instances throughout the book where information was glossed over and the popular theory was provided instead of what is considered now the truth. (The truth behind Sojourner Truth’s “Ain’t I A Woman” speech is an example, as well as the notion that Harriet Tubman absolutely agreed to meet John Brown in West Virginia.) Would I still recommend this book? Absolutely. There’s more than enough information provided to assure people of the roots of racism and how they have been able to thrive throughout time. If you’re looking to educate yourself on how we got to where we are now, then this book is perfect for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood