Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur


Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur



I needed to hear Assata's story. I needed to understand her fight, her struggle, her strength and her determination. After finishing this book I feel like I have a much better look at not only her life, but the movements she took part in. This autobiography tells about her time in jail while recounting the events that led to her capture, her past and her ensuing trials. Shakur is able to captivate the reader simply by expressing her truth. I was heavily invested in what she had to say and extremely disheartened by the similarities between her struggle in the 1960s and 1970s with the current struggle. But that is one of the reasons why I found this autobiography so important. We need to be knowledgeable of the past so we can acknowledge what needs to happen to move forward. Reading Shakur's words are a constant reminder that not only is it important to fight but we must fight, until the battle is won and everyone is seen as equals.
Is this a book I could recommend? Easily I can but I don't feel that everyone will be ready to listen to what she has to say. She strongly refutes the conviction and the evidence that was put forth against her. I really enjoyed it because of what she had to say and the conviction in which she said it. This book is well written, hard hitting and to the point. This is Shakur's life and even if you don’t agree with her decisions or her life it is a powerful story being told. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. Well done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood