Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton

Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton


          It all started the day “The Nutcracker” cast was announced. Bette knew she would be the Sugar Plum Fairy, just like her sister. And besides she is the best dancer at the American Ballet Conservatory. The chances that Mr. K would choose someone else for that role are slim to none. June feels the same way. She has been at the conservatory since she was 6. She knows all about how Mr. K chooses to cast his ballets, and that’s why she knows she won’t be cast as the Sugar Plum Fairy, because June is half-Korean and none of the Asian girls ever get a lead role. Needless to say, everyone was shocked when Gigi, the new girl from California, got the role. Especially since she is the only black girl in the class. Now Gigi unknowingly has a target on her back.
           So this book is really intense! I was expecting something along the lines of “Centerstage” with some dramatic flair. What I got was a surprisingly diverse group of characters, a stark look at race and drama ranging from an alcoholic mother, drug use, eating disorders and back stabbing. Including the three POV characters, there was wide range of personalities and lives that intersected daily. Charaipotra and Clayton did an amazing job with creating an environment that was devoid of stagnant characters. These stories breathes dance and it breathes emotion. I got swept away in the day to day activities of the girls and the drama present. It was definitely a plot that was easy to get lost in.
          This book does have a sequel which I will definitely be grabbing. I want to know how things continue for this characters. I know who I am rooting for and I know who I am hoping will choose a different career path and gain some damn humility. I definitely recommend this book. It’s fun and worth a read. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood