Imago by Octavia E. Butler

Imago by Octavia E. Butler


This is how a story should end. This is how you bring all the different parts together, weave them together seamlessly and produce something new. The Ooankali weren't expecting to create a construct-ooloi and yet Johads is going through metamorphosis, its first, and will become the first construct-ooloi. What this will mean for its future and its ability to mate is yet to be seen.
When I first started this trilogy I was constantly amazed by Butler's creativity and her ability to give so many details to not only the Ooankali but the world that was left after war destroyed life on Earth. With each book she added layers to the story that just increased the scope of this world and brought me to the brink of my imagination. Imago blends seamlessly into this world and takes a wholly unexpected turn that kept me intrigued and excited!
One of things that I really loved about this series was the passage of time. Decades pass between the books and yet Butler misses nothing when filling in the details. The passage of time also allows readers to meet new characters and focus on their journey while still being aware of and interacting with the characters from the first book. I loved that anything was possible in this series! This is exactly what I want from science fiction. I want to be completely flabbergasted by what an author can come up with and yet still make believable. Butler was the queen of the that and it's so obvious in this series!
I am going to recommend the entire series. But this may not be for everyone! If you aren't a fan of science fiction stories with aliens and a dystopian edge to it then you might not enjoy these books. I did because I love Butler's writing style and this story was intoxicating. I give this 5 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood