Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi




                This was a story that I began reading with the most basic of information and a whole lot of hype. I took my time getting to it. Part of me didn't know if I was mentally ready to read it, the other part of me didn’t want to be disappointed. I shouldn't have feared either. This book was amazing, beautifully crafted and extremely engaging. Homegoing is about a family separated. Sisters, that never knew each other, and how their fates would lead their descendants in two completely different directions. One would stay in Africa. The other a slave in America. But what would become of their children, and their children's children, and the many after that? This is a look back at history. This history of a people separated. One side staying home while the other can only look back unknowingly to a home they never knew.
                I've said before and I'll say it again, writing successful generational stories is hard. Gyasi though executed it beautifully. Each chapter is centered around a new character's narrative. The narrative are chronologically told from the beginning of the slave trade to the 2000s. I loved that she used these distinct narratives. I loved that she made it easy to follow the family line through the different narratives. I love the unique storylines which lended itself to creating the atmosphere of the novel.
                 I never lost interest in this story! I was invested throughout. It was such an amazing concept and was so well done. Gyasi crafted amazing stories and molded these family units in such a way that you become addicted to learning the outcomes. Her world building and plot development allowed for time to pass with ease without disconnecting the reader from the characters or their histories. Gyasi's effort with this novel has to be applauded. There were moments throughout the book where the social commentary was so spot on that this became almost heartbreaking. I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend it. 5 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood