Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli

Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli


                It wasn’t until fairly recently that I noticed Harry, A History and I wasn’t at all interested. To be completely honest with you I just wasn’t sold on the idea of reading someone else’s experience as a Harry Potter fan. I had my own history with the books, one that I cherish and speak about to people shocked that a thirty year old woman still rereads the series every year. I just didn’t have the patience to indulge and I have so many books I want to read. Then one weekend I was visiting my in-laws and saw a copy of the book. My mother in law, who is also a huge Harry Potter fan, had ordered the copy months ago and had yet to read it. Sitting idly on the couch, I began reading the forward by J.K. Rowling. I must admit that my interest was piqued after seeing both her name and the fact that the author of this book was the webmistress of The Leaky Cauldron, a site I had frequented often for Potter news. Before I knew it I was chapter in and hooked. Just like that I had fallen into the history of the Potter Fandom.
                Now would be the appropriate to dive into my history with Harry Potter. I picked up the first book in the fall of 1998 at 12. I almost book snobbed it, stating pretty proudly that I didn’t read fantasy when a friend suggested I read it. My obsession with the series began right when the books were being published in the U.S. so I got a first-hand view of the tide as the Harry Potter wave began to rise. I got my hands on a British edition of the second book at a local book store, before the book was released in the U.S. and then promptly bought a U.S. copy as soon as it was released. I reread the books constantly, something I had never done before. I loved the series and was a dedicated fan. The waiting between books sucked, but I returned to the books often. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to count the amount of times I’ve read these books but I still do even to this day.
                Melissa Anelli has a different story. She came across the books while in college in 2000, after a few of the books had already been released and the fandom was increasing exponentially. Her journalism career took her down a different path. She would begin perusing fanfiction sites, indulging in these stories, while also researching articles and sending them to The Leaky Cauldron. Overtime she would become a leading force in providing news regarding the series. She began writing this book moments before the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, came out. It was in honor of the fandom that she wrote the book and that’s the reason why I loved the experience of reading Harry, A History. It is funny, intriguing and informative. I was never a part of the some of the fan experiences that she describes and it was interesting to learn about all of the events taking place, the rivalries, the discussions, the extensive fanfiction, the conventions. But what I loved most was reading about another fan falling head over heels in love with this series. Reading about someone else and the connection they share with a book series that I am so dedicated to and love brought back all of the memories I associated with Harry Potter. This is a book for Harry Potter fans. People who loved these books and were both sad and happy at the fact that it had to end. The story isn’t going anywhere. I have multiple copies of the series and plan to reread them every January for the foreseeable future. Anelli’s journey was different but we are connected through this story of young boy wizard who continued to fight until the battle was won. I give this 5 out of 5 stars.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood