Mind of My Mind by Octavia E. Butler

Mind of My Mind by Octavia E. Butler



                Centuries have passed since Dora and Anyanwu have met and chose to live harmoniously. A truce between the two of them to exist together even though they may disagree. Doro is close to getting what he always wanted. His descendants are growing in number and now there is Mary. He knew from the moment Mary was born that she would be different. An exceptionally strong telepath, something completely different than he had seen before. She would be the prize he was looking for, if she survived transition. What Doro wasn’t expecting was for her to form a pattern with some of his other telepaths after she transitioned. That those telepaths would be connected to her and that she would be able to control them in a way that even he could not. And that he would begin to see her as a threat.
                The Patternist series is just incredible. There is no other way around it. What Octavia E. Butler created with this series is a group of non-humans who are able to enslave and take over those around them without their knowledge. That plot in and of itself is achieved seamlessly in Butler’s very capable hands. This second book in the series is as strong as the first and pulls in a deeper realm than I ever imagined. The characters are beautifully imagined. The world building is extremely strong. And because there is no extent to their power, the possibilities really are endless to where this story can go.

                I will say that I am reading this book in the order the series flows but not in the order the story was published. I had no idea the story was published in a different order but I am glad I am reading this story through chronologically. I’m loving the way these stories are flowing in to one another. This series is just steadily taking my breath away. Well done. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. Eager to begin the next book. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood