Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (1999)

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri


                I don’t usually gravitate towards collections of short stories but after including Interpreter of Maladies as part of my thirty year theme, I may have to re-evaluate that decisions. These stories were beautiful. They were a look into a culture that I’m not familiar with. They had diverse characters whose lives I could vividly imagine. The stories were so diverse and extremely well imagined that I couldn’t pull away from any of them. This was so highly enjoyable that I want to read more of what it is Lahiri has to say. She was able to create these beautiful tales in such a simple and yet satisfying way. I raced through this book.
                I feel like there is a story for everyone. Whether it’s the story of a couple whose relationship is deteriorating after the birth of their child. Or an unexpected friendship with a very old woman. Even finding Christian imagery all over a home. And becoming friends with a man whose family is living through the middle of a war. Each of these stories had an amazing presence and an amazing voice. The characters were beautifully sculpted and the worlds well imagined. I could go on and on but I feel like I will just start rambling so I will leave this by simply recommending this collection of stories. I give this 5 out of 5 stars. Absolutely amazing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood