Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland

Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland


                I remember when I was younger hearing about a Debbie Allen production of The Nutcracker. I was very young and had never been to a ballet before but I was intrigued. Debbie Allen was a famous African American dancer and choreographer and her production, The Chocolate Nutcracker, would have an African American cast. I never got to see that ballet and I hadn’t thought about it since. So imagine my surprise when reading Misty Copeland’s memoir Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina realizing that she was the lead dancer in that very same ballet I had heard of as a little girl. I was shocked and yet amazed that a young girl that was raised in San Pedro, California, not far from where I was raised in Los Angeles, was now an author and an acclaimed soloist for the American Ballet Theatre in New York.
                Misty Copeland came from humble beginnings and an unstable childhood. Her mother was forever the wanderer and would move herself and her six children from one man to the next over Misty’s childhood. It was by chance that Misty stumbled into ballet at the age of thirteen, only to soon be hailed as a prodigy for her natural talent. The road wasn’t easy and it was filled with public ridicule, a stint in court and doubts because of her race and yet she endured. She still dances today. She is now garnering more recognition than ever because her movement up the ABT ranks and her Under Armor endorsements.

                Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina is a memoir that brings light to what life as an African American dancer really is. Copeland has been under a spotlight since she began dancing and her race unfortunately has always played role in how people have viewed her. She has either been applauded for impeccable style and flawless technique or ridiculed for her shape and skin tone. Copeland endures and continues to fight. This memoir exposes what that fight has been like her entire life. It explains why she fights so hard to make history and to be the brown ballerina that many try not to recognize. This memoir was well written and poignant. She was honest about her relationships, her family, her upbringing and her persistence. The injuries that threaten to break her and the criticism that tried to take her hard work away. I was amazed while reading about her story. I had never known what the fight was like for her and I was glad I had taken the time to read her amazing story. I can definitely recommend this memoir and give it 4 out of 5 stars. It is a memoir of courage and progress and the forcing of change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood