Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood



                A plague has destroyed mankind leaving Jimmy with the Children of Crake, Crakers as he calls them. Crake is dead. Oryx is dead. It’s just Jimmy, the Crakers, and the genetic experiments like, pigoons, wolvogs, snats and rakunks. People had been pushing the boundaries with playing God for decades. The pleeblands had become cesspools for disease. Those who lived on compounds or modules were relatively safe because of the air purifiers. The vaccines were being created almost as fast as the diseases were spreading. Crake had theories about why that was before he died. That was before he created the Crakes, a species immune to diseases that held none of the human weaknesses.
This is not a world I know. This is not a future I want. This is a world that envisions man at its breaking point because of the actions of man. We are to blame. This was highly interesting. From the beginning of this novel I was intrigued and invested. I spent most of the novel simply trying to figure how man got to this point. After reading this I almost feel like I really enjoy puzzles because Atwood made me work till the very end to find out how the world collapsed. She left breadcrumbs throughout the story, jumping from Jimmy’s current situation to the past, all leading up the outbreak of the ultimate outbreak. I had my suspicions throughout but finding out the truth made this whole story worthwhile.

I am a fan of Atwood but I wasn’t sure if this was a novel I wanted to start. Oryx and Crake is the first of a trilogy, that I will more than likely finish because I found this whole story line extremely fascinating. The main character of Jimmy was well developed and interesting. The whole concept of a complete separation of society between those that live on compounds versus those in the pleeblands just grabbed my intention. The extent to which humans began genetically modifying creatures all for the benefit of mankind was horrifying and yet well thought out. I loved that everything was a mystery that was slowly unfolding. The results were unexpected and disturbing. This was a weird fit to me but Atwood knows how to sow an alternate reality. I give this 4 out of 5 stars. I didn’t know what to expect but I enjoyed this science fiction(ish), dystopia. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood