Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Wonder by R.J. Palacio



                There is something about this novel that really sits with me. I wasn’t sure what to expect from Wonder. I had heard great things about this novel and how moving it was so of course I was hoping this would be a great story. I personally didn’t feel disappointed at all. Wonder is a novel about a young boy named August Pullman who was born with a facial disfigurement that caused him to have over twenty surgeries in his young life. He has been homeschooled his entire life and his mom thinks now is the time for him to go to an actual school. He’ll be starting the 5th grade in the fall at Beecher Prep Middle School. Over the course of about a year, readers observe the different obstacles that August has to face simply because he was born differently.
                August was such a great character. He was funny, witty and very self-aware. In his position I would guess you would have to be. If every day you left your house and people stared, pointed or ran from your appearance then you have to be aware of how you appear to others. I felt for August. I wanted to know August. I didn’t pity him because he was stronger than people could imagine. I did however feel bad because let’s face it, children can be assholes and the way many of the characters treated August was disgusting. Palacio did an amazing job with developing August. From the moment I started reading Wonder I knew I would love it.
                I found the change in narratives to be a pleasant surprise. I wasn’t expecting the narrative to change to different characters involved with August and it really enhanced the all-around story.  For the first 87 pages you don’t really know what August looks like because he won’t describe himself. It isn’t until his sister describes him in page 88 that you really understand why he stands out. It isn’t until over a hundred pages in that you even know what caused August’s appearance. It added a mysterious element to the story. You take bits and pieces of what you are told to make a composite until everything unfolds. Another reason I loved the narrative changes were because I loved reading what motivated the other characters to behave the way they did towards August. How does the neglected sister feel about having a brother was such a disfigurement? How does August’s friends really feel about him? What are people’s first thoughts when seeing August? How do the parents at Beecher Prep feel about August?

                If Wonder has a fault it’s that it is slightly unbelievable. Or maybe I am just an extreme pessimist and that some people never change despite how much you want them to. I won’t reveal anything more because I don’t want to spoil anything. I really enjoyed this novel. This is a novel that I want children to read because I feel that some children are completely unaware of how their actions affect other people. This novel exposed the actions of young children and how those actions can be defining of their character in both an extremely positive and negative way. It exposed bullying and parental entitlement which is something I wasn’t expecting but am very glad was explored. I give this novel 4.5 out of 5 stars. It made me think. It will make children think and it will touch you on an emotional level. This is something I can definitely recommend to anyone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood