The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Arthur Pyle

The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle



                I’m not sure when I first heard of King Arthur. It could have been while watching “The Sword in the Stone” or I might have seen it randomly while watching TV. All I know is that I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t aware of King Arthur, his knights, the round table and his Queen Guinevere. I’m surprised that it took me this long to actually read Pyle’s account of King Arthur but I’m glad I waited till now because I’m not sure if the younger version of me would be able to appreciate it. The Story of King Arthur and His Knights is really a collection of stories that focuses not only on King Arthur’s life but the life of many of those in his court. It has a language that is reflective of medieval times and stories that include fairies and acts of chivalry.

                Here’s what Pyle’s stories about King Arthur did: make me want to learn more about the Arthurian Legend. That is a good and a bad thing. It’s good because this novel sparked my interest. I want to learn more about Arthur and his knights. I want to learn about his Queen and Merlin. I am invested in these character. What’s bad is that these stories lacked the detail I was craving. There are so many little stories that never go into enough depth. These stories didn’t even scratch the surface on Lancelot who is a name as familiar to legend as Arthur. I am now on a hunt for more information because I am still intrigued. I give Pyle’s stories 3 out of 5 stars. It is interesting but the language can be annoying and it obviously left me wanting. It’s a classic so I am glad I read it but there has got to be more on such regarding such an amazing legend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood