Treasure Island by Robert Luis Stevenson

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson



                Jim Hawkins is on an adventure of a lifetime. A patron of his father’s inn, Billy Bones, is dead and has left him a treasure map. By following it he will discover the gold of the Captain Flint. He is leaving with the Dr. Livesey on an expedition to recover the gold, along with John Silver, Captain Smollett, the squire Trelawney and their crew they will set sail. Trustworthy seamen are hard to find as Hawkins finds out when he overhears talks of a mutiny. Now the few men he can trust are trying to make it back alive and if they are lucky, with some gold.

                I was entertained but not captivated by this classic. It is well told but only slightly interesting. I have heard of John Silver and thanks to the TV show “Black Sails” I also know of Captain Flint. I was in the mood for a pirate tale and that is exactly what I got but all be it a mild one. Hawkins narrated most of the story and it was through the eyes of the boy that we learn of the coming and goings of the crew. Honestly the pirates never came to life for me. All they did was drink, argue, kill someone and commit mutiny. I was hoping to hear more about Captain Flint and about why he and John Silver were so feared. I got nothing. If the pirates were given more life I probably would have been more engaged in the story. I give this novel 3 out of 5 stars.  It’s an easy enough to enjoy classic but not a page turner. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood