Maleficent adapted by Elizabeth Rudnick

Maleficent adapted by Elizabeth Rudnick


                Maleficent was born in a time of great trouble in the Moors. The faeries were once again at war with King Henry, a human intent on stealing away the precious land from the faeries. Hermia and Lysander, Maleficent’s parents believed that there were good humans that could be trusted and who loved the land as much as the faeries. They lost their lives in the fight to protect the Moors, leaving their only child to be raised by those who lived in the Moors. Grow she would into a beautiful faerie with strong wings like her mother and piercing green eyes like her father. Maleficent also held the same faith as her parents that there had to be good humans in the world. Stefan would be the embodiment of that hope. Stefan and Maleficent became friends as children and their friendship grew and blossomed. Then Stefan betrayed Maleficent taking from her not only her wings but the faith she had in humans. One act of betrayal changed the heart of Maleficent and the fate of a kingdom.
                Oh, Maleficent. How much do I love thee? Let me the count the ways! I have been obsessed with Maleficent ever since I was a little girl. I don’t know why. I can’t explain it but there you go. I was at the movie theatre, filled with anticipation to see Angelina Jolie (who I also adore) playing out this evil faerie on the big screen. “I want to know more” I almost screamed and I was not disappointed. It was a completely different outlook on the classic Sleeping Beauty with the focus being on the destructive relationship between Maleficent and Stefan, explaining why she bestowed such a “gift” on the child Aurora. I left the theatre elated. It wasn’t until later that I knew a novelization of the movie was made and in my greed I purchased Maleficent, Rudnick’s adaptation of the movie.
                Let me start by explaining that the book itself is beautiful. The hardcover (pictured above) is black with black lining on the pages. The cover shows Maleficent turned towards the reader, green eyes glaring with horns blaringly obvious. It is full of the stereotype that is the dark and mysterious persona of Maleficent. The novel itself was well written and best of all full of emotion. The emotion behind some of the more moving parts of the movie were vividly expressed with the pages. I will say the novel was a lot darker than I expected after seeing the movie, which at times was full of grandiose effects that screamed “I am a Disney movie!” Rudnick allowed the emotion of the characters and their predicaments drive the plot instead of adding details that would reflect the movies special effects. I only wish the novel had ended better. It felt rushed. More could have been said about the lives of the characters. But it is me and I may always want more from the story of Maleficent.

                So where does Maleficent rate? I give it 4 out of 5 stars. If you love retellings of fairy tales then this is the novel for you. Well written, well developed and easy to read I expect many to want to fall into Maleficent’s story of loss, revenge and ultimately understanding and (dare I say it) love. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood