The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


Jay Gatsby has a beautiful home in Long Island where he throws the most extravagant parties every weekend. Everyone attends Gatsby’s parties, even celebrities and here the liquor is always flowing, the dancing is always going and the music never stops. What Nick Carraway, the Yale graduate and bond salesman soon realizes is that no one knows Gatsby. Of course people see him and spark conversation but rumors circle with no truth to be told. People believe he is an heir to enormous wealth, or a gambler or swindler maybe even a murderer but no one knows. People simply enjoy being a part of his lavish lifestyle. Nick becomes exposed to the man that is Gatsby and the truth of his circumstance. The relationship between Gatsby and Nick’s cousin, Daisy, is revealed and the revelations continue about Gatsby and his motives for his lifestyle.
                I found the novel intriguing. Here is a man who seemingly has it all but he is essentially a ghost and the people around him do not care. They are too consumed with the spoils of the life he is portraying. What’s worse is that they find no fault in the fact knowing so little about the man whose wine they drink and whose home they occupy on a regular basis. But what can we learn about a man who seemingly has no friends and find solace in surrounding himself with superficial people? Is he not then superficial? This novel was written in 1925 about 1922 in Long Island but it could easily portray our society today. Many shroud themselves in elaborate settings to hide true intentions. In this instance the driving force was love and a determination to prove worth by any means necessary.

                Did I enjoy this novel? Yes, very much but I find myself very critical of it at the same time. Its realistic portrayal of a superficial society that can reflect all the ages is commendable. But the fact that so little has changed gives me pause. I give this novel a 4 out of 5 stars. I definitely recommend this novel because it a great read that says a lot about how we view wealth in society. 

Comments

  1. I was just telling my self the other day that this would be my next read. I read it in high school but that was so long ago. I have also watched the movie and well the remake and loved the love story and how some people will do anything for those that they love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it again! It is such an amazing story. I am glad I read it as an adult because I can fully appreciate the story and the sacrifice on Gatsby's part.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood