Playing Catch Up


So it’s been a rough couple of months. There were a lot of personal things going on in my life that made it hard for me to keep up my reading pace, let alone write an update on my journey through Stephen King. I am getting back into the groove and I am finally ready to update you on what’s been going in the mind of Stephen King. The following reviews are short (very short) and pretty much my view on each novel so far. You will probably recognize a fair number of these books because they are pretty famous movies. Before you even ask, to me all the books are better. Let’s begin.


Thinner
Another Richard Bachman thriller, this one deals with the cost of crossing the wrong person. It could literally cost you your life. Probably one of my favorite Bachman books. Translated well to film.


It
Definitely a coming of age story, with a terrifying twist. Kids in Derry disappear and this group of kids figure out why. I will admit that is not my favorite King. I didn’t care for the way he wrote the book. It goes from modern day conversation to flashbacks quite often and honestly I just wanted him to tell the story. It was interesting none the less and for those on their way to The Dark Tower you’ll notice the Turtle reference and the significance it holds in the series. If you loved the movie then I would definitely recommend reading.


The Eyes of The Dragon
A fantasy novel by Stephen King that made me wish he wrote more fantasy novels. A turn in a different direction for King that I rather enjoyed. One of his major antagonist of King plays a huge role in this story.


The Drawing of the Three: The Dark Tower 2
In this book we travel with Roland as he “draws” those who are destined to be his companion. It focuses a lot on one of the main themes of The Dark Tower novels which is following your “ka” or destiny. This book also sets the tone for the other novels. This book isn’t as dark as the first novel and is a much easier read.


Misery
What does it mean to be someone’s biggest fan? Well it certainly shouldn’t mean keeping them in your house hostage while you force them to write a novel for you, but maybe that is just my opinion. This book definitely had me on edge. There was no end to this woman’s madness. If you have seen this movie and you’re thinking she wasn’t that bad then please read this book. I’ve never seen Hollywood turn down crazy like they had to do with this book to screen adaptation.


The Tommyknockers
This book looks at the psyche of an entire town when placed under an alien influence. Easy enough read. Interesting idea to say the least, executed well and in Stephen King fashion.


The Dark Half
This book was a very interesting look at everyone’s alter ego, your essential dark half. The main character of this book, Thad, is an author whose alter ego has somehow materialized and is out to kill him and other people that have prevented him from taking over throughout the years. Sounds dramatic because it is but I thoroughly enjoyed it.


The Wastelands: The Dark Tower 3
Roland and his “ka-tet” become fully assembled and embark on their journey. I am intentionally being vague when it comes to The Dark Tower novels. I don’t want to give anything away for those who will take this journey…My apologies!


Needful Things
This was a great look at how greed can take over and destroy. What are you willing to give for that one object you desire? Are you willing to kill? Are you willing to deceive? Are you willing to watch your town go up in flames? He used one of his well known locations for this novel about how greed can take over. A lot of familiar names and faces were mentioned in the book.

Gerald’s Game
Now for those of you who have read Fifty Shades of Grey, this is what can happen when foreplay and handcuffs go terribly wrong. Suspenseful, yes. Predictable, not at all. It played well on your worse fears.


Dolores Claiborne
This was a bit of a departure in style for Stephen. This book was written in the first person with no chapter breaks as if the main character was having one very long winded monologue. And it worked for this story. I don’t know if he could have pulled off this style of writing with any character besides Dolores Claiborne. Another interesting fact is that this book took place at the exact same time as Gerald’s Game and the two main characters shared a psychic connection.

I’m going to end it here. There is definitely more Stephen to come and I will try and get another summary of books out soon but until then I hope you have enjoyed this catch up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enemy of All Mankind: A True Story of Piracy, Power, and History's First Global Manhunt by Steve Johnson

Odetta: A Life in Music and Protest by Ian Zack

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood